Conway, Arkansas

I have a 2013 Kia Optima SXL with the 2.0 Turbo engine.At 80,000 miles the car suddenly started making a knocking noise.

At first I thought it was just the rough highway but the sound got worse. I was 50 miles away from the nearest Kia dealership. I took the car to an autozone just make sure it was still drivable. They told me that something was bad wrong and not to drive it.

I then took it to a local mechanic just to get their opinion on what was wrong with the car. After paying $70, they told me that my engine had went bad and that I needed a new one. It took a day for me to have it arranged for my car to be transported to the kia dealership in conway, AR. It took them about 20 minutes to tell me what was wrong with the car.

They said that the engine rod bearings had went bad and it was "metal to metal", I would need to replace the engine. Since we bought the car used it was not covered under the warranty. They quoted me $5,500 for the new engine. We had them order the engine.

It took over two weeks for them to finish my car. The day I got my car back I asked the service manager again, what was the cause. This time he told me it was due to the fact that I did not have a genuine KIA oil filter and there was metal in the oil. The engine lost oil pressure.

Why on earth would that have anything to do with metal in my oil?

I have read other peoples experience with the same issue with the same car. I had corporate kia start a case the day after my car did this. Kia said they would be in contact with the dealership where my was. I think kia told the service manager to lie to me about it.

I saw on the news were hyundai recalled the same exact engine in some years of the sonotas for "metallic debris that may not have been removed from the engine crankshaft during the manufacturing process. This could lead to restricted oil flow, damaging internal parts." We are out $5,570 for a engine that should have lasted at least 150,000 miles.

This was my first kia and it will be my last.Kia does not care about their customers from stories that I have read online about voided warranties for the same failure my engine had.

Review about: 2013 Kia Optima.

I liked: Looks of vehicle, Luxury feel.

I didn't like: Defective engine, Customer service attitude, Never buy kia again.

2.0
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Damaged or defective / $5570
Preferred solution Let the company propose a solution

Had an Experience with Kia Motors?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion