Interest Rate
Style and Design
Turnaround Time

Update by user Apr 18

Kia called and said they will take the valve cover off at no expense to me to look to see if the car died due to lack of maintenance. I suspect this is simply an attempt to blame the car dying on me so they get off the hook.

I suspect the engine dying will be blamed on me no matter what they find under the valve cover.

Initally Kia wanted to charge me $1,500 for this. I should hear back from Kia in about a week.

Original review posted by user Mar 16

The email below I sent to Kia Corporate officers and sums up my feelings on my 2011 Kia Sportage having it's engine seize up become instantly worthless at 78,000 miles.

To whom it may concern,

Several years ago I purchased a used 2011 Kia Sportage from Auffenberg Kia dealership. The car recently suffered a catastrophic engine failure that will require a complete engine replacement. The Auffenberg Kia service department informed me that they don’t’ know what caused my vehicle to have a catastrophic engine failure. The reason for this engine failure is very relevant and must be addressed. I've asked both Kia consumer affairs and the Kia service department at Auffenberg to find out what the root cause of the engine failure was. Kia consumer affairs refers to the dealership. The Kia dealership’s service department informed me that they would only do the work to find the cause of the engine failure if I paid them $1500 before the work is performed. Is this Kia’s policy? How could I be assured the problem will not happen again if Kia doesn’t know what caused the failure in the first place? When a person dies at an early age an autopsy is conducted to find out what caused the premature death. Kia isn’t interested in an autopsy of my vehicle because they already know what caused the engine failure. It’s the problem detailed in the Kia SC147 recall. Kia has no desire to add more vehicles to this recall so Kia refuses to investigate the failure. This is the simple and honest truth of the matter. It’s at a minimum an unethical business practice and in my opinion much worse.

The short version of the story is that my car mirrored all the symptoms as outlined in Kia engine recall SC147 from beginning to end. I've been told my vehicle is no longer under warranty so Kia will do NOTHING. A catastrophic engine failure at 78,000 is unacceptable to anyone but not to Kia. I’ve been clearly told by Steve at Kia consumer affairs that their vehicle’s engine failing at 78,000 miles is perfectly acceptable to Kia and they bare no responsibility to do ANYTHING. Is this the case? Is this Kia’s policy? So far I've contacted both the dealership and Kia consumer affairs both of whom refuse to investigate why the car's engine failed but readily admit that it probably suffered the exact same problems and engine failure as detailed in the Kia SC147 recall. I’m told by Kia that my engine is a 2.4L theta II MPI engine and only 2.4L theta II GDI engines are covered under the recall. That’s a ridiculous position since the gas delivery system has nothing to do with what caused the engine failure in the recall or in the case with my car. Additionally a quick search on the World Wide Web brings up other Kia Sportage engine failures following the same symptoms and engine failure as detailed in SC147 and these vehicles are also not covered because they are MPI engines like mine. Kia simply is obfuscating the facts with the hope I will go away. I assure you I will not go away. I’ve contacted my attorney general and I will be lodging complaints with numerous consumer advocate groups and speaking up on this issue in social media platforms as well as seek other legal remedies.

This experience has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth as it relates to Kia, and Kia's mother company Hyundai. I will not purchase or lease cars from Kia or Hyundai in the future and I will urge others to do the same and detail my experience with Kia’s products and customer service. Any commitment to the customer has simply been ignored. I refuse to do business with a business that allows poorly manufactured vehicles to be sold to unsuspecting customers and then deny responsibility for obvious manufacturing defects. It took nearly an act of God for Kia to admit their failures and issue a recall to begin with. I'm assuming Kia will follow suit as they've done in the past and deny, deny, deny until they are made to own up to their mistakes by legal action and government intervention.

Please do not have anyone contact me unless they are prepared to resolve my issue and not pester me with excuses and obfuscate the facts as the Kia people I’ve spoken to so far have done. I have filed complaints with Kia that Steve with Kia has promptly closed without my agreement. My VIN # KNDPB3A2XB703----

Review about: 2011 Kia Motors Sportage Car.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

I didn't like: Poor service and poor quality, Lack of honesty, Customer service after there was an issue.

Comments