Kia Motors - 2013 Kia Rio EX Bursts into flames while parked in driveway

Just bought a 2013 Rio with 28,000 miles on it on 9/2/16. The car sat in our driveway all last week because we were on vacation, so we maybe put 100 miles on it and drove it 4 times.

Drove 20 minutes round trip to the post office yesterday, parked in driveway and went back into house to work.

Wife came home from work about 10 minutes later and came running in the house saying the new car is on fire.

Called 911 and before fire department was able to get there, the flames were as high as our second floor windows. Car was parked about 10-15 feet away from house, but the heat damaged part of our house as well.

I have contacted insurance, but I really feel this is a Kia issue / problem, and we really should not have to use insurance to replace the car. This car is still under manufacturer warranty, and they need to be held accountable.

Then last night after the tow company came, we started researching this and have found many, many 2012-2014 Kia's doing this. I logged a complaint on your Kia's website, but have not got a response back yet, and yes, I feel I should get a response over the weekend. Our car burst into flames, damaged part of our house from the heat, and it could of been much worse, especially if I parked the car in the garage yesterday. Would really like to hear from Kia, or other owners that have had this problem.

It seems that with all of the google hits about Kia's catching fire, there should have been a recall on any of the models that have had this problem, and get them either fixed, or off of the road, at Kia's expense, before lives are lost because of this.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• What I disliked
    • Dangerous auto
    • Life threatening auto

Reason of review:
Car engulfed in flames and totaled
Preferred solution:
Full refund
Monetary loss:
Product or service
2013 Kia Rio
Review category
review #920423 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Kia Motors? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Kia Motors. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Kia Motors.
Filing a new complaint about