1.8K views

It started with a spot the size of a small pea and now my paint is chipping and peeling off of my car everywhere. Kia is well aware of the problem but refuses to do anything about it.

My car only has 70k miles and if I get on the interstate, the paint chipping just gets worse and worse. It is peeling off all the way down to the grey primer. There are no dents or scratches. The paint is just literally flying off of the car.

Kia needs to make this right but refuses because it started just outside their 3/36k warranty. I would understand the warranty if it weren't so obviously a paint defect.

I still have 3 years to pay on this car and it looks like a 20 year old car. There is a class action lawsuit in California because of all of the complaints on paint with the Kia and Hyndai from 2010 to 2014.

Product or Service Mentioned: 2013 Kia Motors Optima Sx Car.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Kia Motors Cons: Manner in which kia handles warranty issues, Lack of honesty, Dont admit the paint is a manufacturer defect.

Comments

Chantelle258

I am having this same issue and have had this issue for a few years. Kia had always told me there is nothing they are going to do about it.

I called the Kia consumer line which is 1800-333-4542 they told me there is a case that was recently opened for this specific paint color and they are going to only fix the affected areas of the car. I asked them why they won’t just repaint the whole car so this does not keep happening in the future but they wouldn’t give me an answer and just said if the paint continues to chip in the future after they have fix the affected areas they will discuss it then. I made a post about this a few weeks ago.

I’m willing do to whatever I need to, to make sure Kia fixes this issue and makes it right with their customers. I would definitely give that number a call and explain what is happening that way they can assist you.

@Chantelle258

Thank you! I will call them as it would be a good deal easier to at least have the bad spots repaired and when it continues to happen, start a class action suit as they have agreed it is a problem with this paint.

Chantelle258

You’re welcome!

MutedDrever845
@Chantelle258

Email Address -- To file a complaint without one or for other assistance, please call the Vehicle Safety Hotline (Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153). The VIN (vehicle identification number) is a unique number assigned to a vehicle. Filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) takes only 10 minutes and can be submitted online or over the phone -- Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at (888) 327-4236; TTY: (800) 424-9153.

I have a 2015 and the same thing is happening Not happy at all!

I have a 2015 KIA Optima, started peeling on the trunk. Took my car to the Dealer ship where I purchase it.

They did RO ( Repair Order) and I had to call the KIA Consumer number, agree to repair the problem. They said they will contact the KIA Dealership to make arrangements, that was 2 months ago. I have called and they act like it nothing to them. The man said the women who’s handling my case will call me.

Still haven’t heard from her. When is this nightmare going to end.

Come on KIA, I been an loyal customer for years. My 2010 Soul looks better than my 2015 Optima.

PalatableFinWhale867
#1752026

Mine too. I have a white optima peeling. It’s embarrassing

MutedDrever845
@PalatableFinWhale867

Filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) takes only 10 minutes and can be submitted online or over the phone -- Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at (888) 327-4236; TTY: (800) 424-9153. https://topclassactions.com/start-a-class-action/

Same here. Traded mine for a mini. Kia said my problem, not theirs.

@Anonymous

That is what we will get back with you means in the Kia corporate culture. If I hadn’t dumped mine 6 months ago I would still be cruising down the highway in a paintless Sorento waiting for them to get back in touch Sad way to conduct business.

khardy3352

I just found out a friend received a recall notice for his white pearl paint from another auto company for the same issue. Getting a copy of the notice. Fuel for our fire?

@khardy3352

Yes, please post. I’m interested to see.

@Anonymous

I received the copy of the recall letter from my friend - the car company is Acura that is offering re-paint for "white diamond Pearl Paint" that is doing the same chipping. I cannot seem to upload a picture of the letter, but I am taking it to an attorney in Tampa that specializes in consumer complaints. I will let everyone know what they say.

@khardy3352

Did this help Taking to an attorney as kia says it's not their issue...

Look at this!!!https://topclassactions.com/start-a-class-action This may help

My car is peeling in the same spots.

I have the 2012SX. It is kept in garage.

However the paint has start to chip and flake on trunk and hood.It looks so bad. Im trying to see if I could file a claim with my insurance to have it repaired

khardy3352

I thought the class action was shot down by the courts? If not, I want to look into it because this is so obviously not a typical warranty issue this is an out and out defect with the white pearl paint. Can you post the details you found?

@khardy3352

So true! All the cars I have seen chipping in same area.

SquigglyDeer415

Shame Kia does not stand behind their product. I will never buy another Kia and I tell my friends the same.